Calshot Castle, Hampshire
Calshot Castle, an extra-parochial tract in Hants, at tin; W side of the mouth of Southampton Water, 7 miles SSE of Southampton. A castle here was one of the numerous smalt forts built by Henry VIII. for protecting the south coast, and is now a dwelling-house. A lighthouse is here, with a fixed light, bright and red; and a light-vessel, called the Calshot-Spit light, is in the neighbourhood, with a minute revolving light. Calshot Castle is also a coastguard station.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Calshot Castle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.