Calbourne, Isle of Wight
Calbourne, a village and a parish in the Isle of Wight. The village stands 5 miles WSW of Newport, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Brighstone. By an Order in Council in 1871 the chapelry and borough of Newtown, with about 2730 acres, were taken from the parish of Calbourne, and with a portion of the district of Porchfield taken from the parish of Shalfleet, was constituted the separate parish of Newtown-cum-Porchfield. Acreage of civil parish, 6551; population, including Newtown, 830; of ecclesiastical, 479. Westover manor belonged to the Esturs, passed to the Lisles and the Holmeses, and belongs now to Lord Heytesbury in right of his grandmother, the daughter of the late Sir Leonard W. Holmes. The house on it is modern.
Calbourne Bottom, 1½ mile SSW of the village, is a depression between Brixton and Moltestone Downs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £397 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is Early English, much modernized, and has a fine brass of a knight in armour, supposed to be of William de Montagu, sixth son of William, fifth Earl of Salisbury, born 25 June, 1328, created lord of the island for life, and died 3 June, 1397.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Calbourn All Saints|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Calbourne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Calbourn (All Saints))
Online maps of Calbourne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.