Bursledon, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands on the Hamble Creek, is a station on the branch line from Southampton to Fareham via Netley, and is 4¾ miles ESE of Southampton, under which it has a post and money order office; telegraph office at the railway station. Area of the parish, 775 acres, with 60 of foreshore and water; population, 550. There is a small quay, and trade is carried on in corn and coals. Shipbuilding was formerly done to the extent of constructing some large men-of-war. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £140 with residence, in the gift of Winchester College. The church possesses some antiquarian interest, but was in an altogether unsatisfactory state until its restoration was undertaken in 1888. It is now one of the most perfect village churches in the county.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||South Stoneham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bursledon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bursledon)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Bursledon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.