Brown Candover, Hampshire
Brown-Candover, a parish in Hants, 5 miles from Alresford station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office, under Alresford; money order and telegraph office, Preston Candover. Acreage, 2810; population of the civil parish, 259; of the ecclesiastical, with Chilton Candover, 348. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Chilton Candover, in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £339 with residence. Patron, Lord Ashburton. The church is an erection of 1845, in the Early Tudor style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Brown Candover St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Alresford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brown Candover from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Candover, Brown (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Brown Candover are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.