Broughton, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands near to the Roman road from Winchester to Salisbury, probably on the site of the station Brigis or Brige, near the river Anton, and 3 miles from Horsebridge station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stockbridge (S.O.) The parish includes also the tithing of Frenchmoor and the hamlet of Pittleworth. Acreage, 345; population of the civil parish, 842; of the ecclesiastical, with Bossington, 986. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Bossington, in the diocese of Winchester; joint net value, £900 with residence. The church is good, and there are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Broughton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Stockbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broughton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Broughton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Broughton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
Villages, Hamlets, &cPittleworth
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.