Breamore or Breamer, Hampshire
Breamore or Breamer, a parish and a liberty in Hants, on the river Avon, with a station on the Salisbury and Dorset railway, 8 miles S of Salisbury. The parish includes Outwick, and has a post office under Salisbury; money order office, Fordingbridge; telegraph office at railway station. Acreage, 2676; population, 592. The manor belongs to the family of Hulse. Breamore House was burnt down in 1856. A priory of black canons was founded in the time of Henry I. by Baldwin, Earl of Devon, and given at the dissolution to the Marquis of Exeter. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £619 with residence. The church is ancient and good; the chancel was restored in 1874. The liberty is in Ringwood division, and conterminate with the parish. There is also a Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Breamore St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Fordingbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Breamore or Breamer from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Breamore (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Breamore or Breamer are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
Villages, Hamlets, &cOutwick
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.