Bramdean, a parish in Hants, 3½ miles from Ropley station on the L. & S.W.R., and 8½ E by S of Winchester. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Alresford. Acreage, 1237; population, 227. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. A Roman pavement was found here, and is covered. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £190 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Norman, with an Early English chancel, and has been restored. A small chapel of ease was erected in 1883.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bramdean St. Simon and St. Jude|
|Poor Law union||Alresford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bramdean from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bramdean (St. Simon and St. Jude))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Bramdean are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.