Bradley, a parish in Hants, 6 miles WNW of Alton station on the L. & S.W.R., and 7½ S of Basingstoke. Post town, Alresford; money order and telegraph office, Preston Candover. Area, 974 acres; population, 69. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £114 with residence. The church is good, and was almost rebuilt in 1876. There are some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bradley All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Basingstoke|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1735.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a modern edifice of flint and stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and tower containing one bell: it was rebuilt in 1876 and seated with open benches, affording 120 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bradley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bradley (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Bradley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.