Botley, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands on the river Hamble, and has a station on the L. & S.W.R., 79 miles from London, and 4 SW of Bishops-Waltham. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) A considerable trade is done in flour and timber; a fortnightly market is held on Monday. The parish comprises 2095 acres of land and 40 of foreshore and water; population of the civil parish, 1114; of the ecclesiastical, 819. Botley Grange and Botley Hill are chief residences. A farm here was held by the political writer William Cobbett. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £265 with residence. The church was built in 1835, enlarged in 1859, and again in 1892. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Botley All Saints|
|Poor Law union||South Stoneham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1679, and is currently preserved at the Hampshire Archives.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints, consecrated in 1836, is a building of white brick in the Early English style, consisting of chancel (added in 1859), nave, aisle, built in 1892, west porch, built in 1895, and a western tower, containing 3 bells and a clock which was once the property of the celebrated William Cobbett. The font was dug up during the 18th century from the mud on the river banks: there is also a tomb with recumbent figure of John de Batley, brought from the old church, which stood a mile from the village, and part of the nave still remains. The present church contains five stained windows, of which the east and west, as well as the reredos, were given by Canon and Mrs. Lee; the others are memorials to members of the Warner family and to Mrs. Philip Chenevix-Trench: the church was reseated in 1903, at a cost of about £350, as a memorial to the Rev. Canon J. M. Lee, rector here, 1855-1903: there are 400 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Botley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Botley (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Botley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.