UK Genealogy Archives logo

Bishopstoke, Hampshire

Historical Description

Bishopstoke, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands on the river Itchin, about a mile E of Eastleigh and Bishopstoke station on the L. & S.W.R., 72 miles from London, and 6½ NNE of Southampton, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. It is large and well built, includes the hamlets of Horton Heath, Pyle Hill, and part of Crowd Hill. There is a reading-room, erected in 1875. The parish comprises 3431 acres; population of the civil parish, 1662; of the ecclesiastical, 941. The manor was held in the time of Edward VI. by Bishop Bale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £320 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church, which was built in 1825, was unsuited by its arrangements, and the great number of faculty pews, to the present requirements of the parish. A much larger and very beautiful church, in which all seats are free and unappropriated, was built and consecrated in 1891. This has been formally constituted the parish church. The old church is still standing. A considerable number of houses for artisans have been built.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1650.


Churches

Church of England

St. Mary (parish church)

The former church of St. Mary, rebuilt in 1825, is a plain edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, with a tower containing 3 bells, and has several monuments, but is at present disused.

St. Mary (parish church)

The new church of St. Mary, opened in 1891 at a cost of £4,200, is an edifice of shaped flints, with quoins and dressings of Bath stone, in the Gothic style of the 14th century, and consists of chancel with vestries and organ chamber on the north, nave and south aisle with baptistery at the west end: the stained east window was erected in 1895 as a memorial to Mrs. and Mr. Barton.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Bishopstoke are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.

DistrictEastleigh
CountyHampshire
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtSO50
Post TownEastleigh