Barton Hartshorn, Buckinghamshire
Barton-Hartshorn, a parish of Buckinghamshire, on the verge of the county, 4 miles WSW of Buckingham, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Tingewick. Acreage, 892; population, 102. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Chetwode, in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £77 with residence. The church is a handsome cruciform structure in the Perpendicular style of architecture.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barton-Hartshorn St. James|
|Poor Law union||Buckingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1567
Church of England
St. James (parish church)
The parish church of St James is an ancient cruciform structure in the Early English and Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, transept, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells; the transept was added in 1841 by W. H. Bracebridge esq. then patron; the clock, placed in the west gable, was given by the late Dr. Clark.
Barton Hartshorn was in Buckingham Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barton Hartshorn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Barton-Hartshorn (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Barton Hartshorn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online