Beauworth or Beaworth, a parish in Hants, 4 miles S of Alresford station on the L. & S.W.R., and 6½ ESE of Winchester. Post town, Alresford; money order and telegraph office, Cheriton. Area, 1508 acres; population, 136, A leaden box containing about 700 coins of William the Conqueror and William Rufus was found here in 1833. This parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Kilmeston, in the diocese of Winchester; joint net yearly value, £240, in the gift of the Crown. The church is a small structure erected in 1838.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Alresford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1838.
Church of England
St. James (parish church)
The church of St. James, erected in 1838 by the late Henry Joyce Mulcock esq. of Ropley, is a small edifice, consisting only of nave, south porch and a belfry containing 2 bells and a clock: there are 100 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Beauworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Beaworth)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Beauworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.