Amport, a parish in Hants, 1½ mile from Weyhill and 4½ miles from Andover stations on the L. & S.W.R. It includes the tithings of Sarson and East Cholderton. It has a post and money order office under Andover; telegraph office, Weyhill. Acreage, 3963; population, 603. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Winchester, and has descended to him from the Norman house of De Port, the common ancestors of the Paulets and the St Johns. Amport House, the seat of the Marquis, built in 1857, in the Tudor style, after designs by Mr Burns, stands in a pleasant undulating park much marked with single trees. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £630. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. The church is chiefly in the Late Decorated style, with a central tower. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. There are also an endowed elementary school and almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Amport St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Ludgershall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1660.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient cruciform edifice of flint, principally in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave and transepts, with central square tower containing 6 bells; the whole of the windows are stained: in the chancel are sedilia and a piscina of the Decorated period: the font was a gift in 1865 from the Earl of Dudley: in 1906 an alabaster tablet with medallion portrait was placed in the church by the Coldstream Guards to the memory of the 15th Marquess of Winchester, who was a major in the regiment, and was killed at Magersfontein, Dec. 11, 1899: the church has been restored and affords 220 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Amport from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Amport (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Amport are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.