Ampfield, a district parish forming part of the civil parish of Hursley, Hants. The village stands 4 miles ENE of Romsey, and 3 from Chandler's Ford station on the Salisbury branch of the L. & S.W.R., and has a post office under Romsey; money order office, Hursley; telegraph office, Chandler's Ford railway station. The district parish was constituted in 1841, and is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £200. The church is a neat Gothic structure, erected at the expense of the late Sir William Heathcote, Bart., and surrounded by a model burying-ground. Population, 457.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hursley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1841.
Church of England
St. Mark (parish church)
The church of St. Mark, erected 1838-40 by the Rt. Hon. Sir William Heathcote bart. P.C., M.P. at a cost of £3,248, and consecrated 21 April, 1841, is an edifice of blue brick and stone in the Early Geometric style, consisting of chancel, nave, north transept, south aisle, porch and an open octagonal western turret, with spire, and containing 2 bells: the stained west window was the gift of Sir William Heathcote bart. Lady Heathcote and Mrs. Wilson, wife of the Rev. Robert Francis Wilson M.A. curate here, 1841-53; the stained east window was presented by Mr. Wilson at a cost of £100: there is an eagle lectern, and an octagonal font, and memorial windows to the Rev. John Keble M.A. vicar of Hursley, 1835-66, and to members of the family of the Rev. John Frewen Moor, vicar 1853-95: the church affords 250 sittings. The churchyard, given, as well as the site for the church, by Sir W. Heathcote bart. is beautifully planted with evergreen trees, and at its western entrance is a drinking fountain of stone, surmounted by a cross, and erected in 1845 by Sir W. and Lady Heathcote and Mrs. R. F. Wilson.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ampfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Amphield, or Anfield)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Ampfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.