UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Abston, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Abson or Abston, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village is 3 miles SE of Mangotsfield station on the M.R., and 7 NW of Bath, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Kingswood. The parish contains also the villages of Bridgegate, Holbrook, and Wick; the last-named was made a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1880. Acreage of Abson and Wick, 2521; population of Abson, 223; of Wick, 752. The living is a chapelry, annexed to Pucklechurch, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church at Abson is an ancient stone building in the Early English style. There is a church at Wick, built in 1850, and Congregational and Wesleyan chapels. Roman relics are found from time to time at Wick, which is supposed to be the site of a Roman pottery, a Roman camp is adjacent.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1687.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Churches

Church of England

St. James (parish church)

The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells, two being of pre-Reformation date: there are sittings for 120 persons.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.