Yate, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, 1½ mile W by N of Chipping Sodbury, with a station on the M.R., and a post office under Chipping Sodbury; money order and telegraph office, Chipping Sodbury. Acreage, 4081; population, 1190. Yate House and Stanshawes Court are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £653-with residence. The church is ancient, and the interior was restored in 1859. There is a chapel for the Brethren. Chipping Sodbury Workhouse is in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Yate St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chipping-Sodbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The registers of baptisms and burials date from the year 1660; marriages, 1661.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone in various styles, consisting of chancel, with aisles, nave, north aisle, north transept, north and south chapels, south porch and a western tower containing 6 bells: there is a brass with effigy to Alexander Staples, ob. 1590, and his two wives, Avis and Elizabeth, and eleven children, and a somewhat curious Latin inscription; a memorial to Hodges Godwin, jun. esq. ob. 1677, and an inscription to Henry Wogan esq. ob. 1661; the stained east window exhibits a design after Albert Durer; and there are others to Mr. and Mrs. Edward Burges, of The Ridge, Yate (1898), the Rev. W. S. Goodenough, a former rector, and his widow (1877), Mrs. A. E. Toler (1899), and to the Rev. D. C. Randolph, and his son, W. C. Randolph (1898): the chancel was restored in 1879, at a cost of £2,228, and since 1896 the whole of the church has been restored at a cost of over £3,000, and the tower completed from designs by W. D. Caroe esq. architect: there are 350 sittings.
The Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1905, and seats 100 persons.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Yate from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Yate (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Yate are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.