Yanworth or Enworth, a township and a chapelry in Hazleton parish, Gloucestershire, 3 miles W of Northleach. It has a post office under Northleach (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Northleach. Acreage, 1263; population, 131. The living is annexed to Hazleton. The church is Norman and Perpendicular.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Northleach|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1695.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
The church of St. Michael is a small building of stone in the Norman and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north transept, south porch, and small embattled western tower containing 2 bells: the south entrance is a fine and perfect specimen of a Norman doorway: the church was thoroughly restored and new-roofed in 1899, and an oak screen erected at the cost of the Earl of Eldon: there are 76 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Yanworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Yanworth)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Yanworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.