Wollastone or Woolaston, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village is much scattered, and lies on the river Severn, 5 miles NE of Chepstow. It has a station on the South Wales section of the G.W.R., and a post office called Brook End, under Lydney; money order office, Lydney; telegraph office, Alvington. The parish comprises 2992 acres of land and 3 of water, with 232 of adjacent tidal water and 1314 of foreshore; population of the civil parish, 852; of the ecclesiastical, with Alvington and Laricaut, 1271. There is a parish council of five members. The living is a rectory, united with Alvington and Laricaut, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £419 with residence. The church is Norman, and was restored in 1859.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Wollaston St. Andrew
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Woolaston 1696-1837, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The parish register dates from the year 1688.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, south aisle, south porch, organ chamber, and a massive embattled western tower, containing 5 bells: the arcade, dividing the nave and aisle, has double shafts of polished marble, with richly foliated capitals: the east window is stained: the church was restored in 1859, at a cost of £1,400, and again in 1903 at a cost of £1,200, and has 250 sittings.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
United Methodist Chapel
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wollastone from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wollaston (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.