UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Withington, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Withington, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands on the river Coln, 6 miles W by N of Northleach, and 8 SE of Cheltenham. It has a station on the Midland and South-Western Junction railway, and a post office under Andoversford (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Andoversford. The parish includes the hamlet of Foxcote. Acreage, 6105; population of the civil parish, 583; of the ecclesiastical, 589. The foundations of a Roman villa were discovered in 1811. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £288 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a cruciform edifice, Norman with later additions, and was restored in 1873. It contains some ancient monuments and brasses, and a fine modern stained glass window. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyGloucestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishWithington St. Michael 
Poor Law unionNorth leach 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1609; marriages, 1755.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Church of England

St. Michael (parish church)

The church of St. Michael is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman style, with later additions, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, south transept, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock with chimes and 6 bells: there is a memorial window, the gift of the Rev. the Hon. George G. C. Talbot M.A. to Emily Sarah (Elwes) his wife, who died 21st November, 1876, and two dauahters: the organ was enlarged in 1873, at a cost of £300: on the south side is a mural monument to Bridget, wife of John Howe, dated 1642, and eight children; and one to G. Osborn, minister, dated 1656: the church was thoroughly restored in 1873 at a cost of £2,500, under the direction of Mr. Brandon, architect, of London, and has 200 sittings.


Baptist Chapel, Foxcote


Wesleyan Chapel

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Withington from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Online maps of Withington are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

RegionSouth West
Postal districtGL54
Post TownCheltenham