Whittington, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, 1 mile N of Andoversford station on the G.W.R., and 4½ miles ESE of Cheltenham. Post town, Andoversford (R.S.O.) Acreage, 1479; population, 179. It includes the hamlet of Syreford. Whittington Court is the chief residence. Roman remains have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £250 with residence. The church ranges from Norman to Perpendicular, and was restored in 1872. It contains some ancient monuments and brasses..
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Northleach|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1539.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
dedication unknown (parish church)
The church (name unknown) consists of portions in the Norman, Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and comprises a chancel, nave of three bays, narrow south aisle, a larger aisle, also on the south side, north porch and a western turret of wood containing one bell, cast in 1855: the monuments, which have been carefully preserved, include three life-sized recumbent effigies, temp. Edward III. and Henry III. two being figures of knights in armour cross-legged, and the third that of a lady of the de Croupe family; there is a brass with effigies to Richard Coton esq. ob. 1556, and Margaret, his wife, with a child between them in swaddling clothes. In 1901 a stained east window was erected, at a cost of £54, in memory of Her Majesty Queen Victoria, who died at Osborne House, Isle of Wight, 22 Jan. 1901. In 1872 the church was restored at a cost of £685, under the direction of Mr. Waller, architect, of Gloucester, when two arches were erected in place of two unsightly square spaces formerly adjoining the chancel, nave and large south aisle; during the restoration two other arches were discovered: one of these, in the north wall, close to the chancel, may have inclosed a tomb; the other is larger, and connects the two south aisles; a new vestry was also erected, the church refloored and fitted and a new roof fixed: there are 180 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whittington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Whittington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Whittington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.