Whiteshill, an ecclesiastical parish in Stroud parish, Gloucestershire, 1 mile NW of Stroud. It was constituted in 1843, and it contains Bread Street and Ruscombe hamlets, and part of Pagenhill. Population, 1695. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. It has a post office under Stroud; money order and telegraph office, Stroud. The living is a titular vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £120 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was built in 1841 and enlarged in 1881. There is a Congregational chapel.
The register dates from the year 1845.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Paul (parish church)
The church of St. Paul, erected in the year 1841, is a building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, transepts (added to the church in 1881-2), and an embattled western tower containing one bell: there are numerous stained windows, and the apse is adorned with paintings of the Twelve Apostles, executed by the Misses Stanton, of Upfield: the church was restored in 1882 at a cost of £916, and transepts added, further in 1888 at a cost of £30, and again during 1906-7 at a cost of about £600: it now affords 600 sittings.
The Congregational chapel at Ruscombe, was erected in 1828, and a burial ground was attached to it in 1876.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Whiteshill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.