Weston Subedge, Gloucestershire
Weston-sub-Edge, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village is 2 miles SE of Honeybourne station on the G.W.R., and 2 W by N of Chipping Campden. It has a post and telegraph office under Broadway (R.S.O.); money order office, Campden. The parish includes also the hamlet of Norton, and comprises 2658 acres; population, 363. There is a parish council consisting of five members. In the parish The celebrated Dover's Hill Games were held annually in Whitsun Week, from the reign of James I. till 1852; the founder was Robert Dover, a local attorney. Norton House is the seat of the Earl of Harrowby. There was formerly a splendid moated residence belonging to the Gifford family. The bishops of Worcester were formerly rectors of the parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £451 with residence. The church is a large handsome Early English edifice, restored in 1861, and contains an ancient brass and some good memorial windows. There is a parish room with a library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Weston-Sub-Edge St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Evesham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore & co. transcript of the Marriages at Weston Subedge 1612-1812 is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1612.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Lawrence (parish church)
The church of St. Lawrence is a large and handsome building of stone, of the 14th century, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and one bell: there are twelve memorial windows to the Molyneaux, Moss & Bourne families, an inscribed brass to Colonel Thomas Bourne, 1879, and a monument with recumbent figure to Captain Francis Hole Bourne, 43rd Light Infantry (1880); there is also a good brass to William Hodges, dated 1590, and a mural tablet recording the gift by Thomas Beman, of this parish, of a dole of bread for the poor at Christmas: the church was restored in 1861, at a cost of about £2,700, under the direction of Mr. Preedy, architect, and again during the period 1879-88, at a cost of £1,379, and affords 230 sittings. In the churchyard is a stone coffin.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weston Subedge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Weston-Sub-Edge (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.