Aston Abbots, Buckinghamshire
Aston-Abbots, a small village and a parish in Bucks, 3½ miles NW of Marston Gate station on the London and North-Western railway, 5½ NNE of Aylesbury, and 6 SW of Leighton Buzzard. Post town, Aylesbury; money order office, Wingrave; telegraph office, Wing. Acreage, 2198; population, 281. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; value, £124. Patron, Baroness Wantage. The church is a small structure of stone of the Decorated period. There are also Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels. Sir James Ross, the arctic explorer, died here in 1862, and is buried in the churchyard.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Abbot's Aston St. James|
|Poor Law union||Aylesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1559
Church of England
St. James (parish church)
The parish church of St. James is a small building of stone, chiefly of the Decorated period, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western embattled tower with square turret, containing 6 bells and a chiming clock striking the quarters: the sixth bell was given by William Hutchinson Putnam esq. of Hertford, Connecticut, in memory of his ancestor, the first American Putnam, who left Aston Abbots about 1631: there is a good piscina in the south wall of the chancel: the south doorway is Early English: in 1890 an organ chamber was built, and an organ added: the oak screen was erected in 1911 in memory of Mrs. Martyn, wife of a former vicar: the stained east window is a memorial to Rear-Admiral Sir James Clarke Ross kt. d. 1862, and Lady Ross, d. 1857, and there are also windows in memory of Mrs. Hart, Mrs. Martyn and Mrs. Steele: the church was restored and partly rebuilt in 1865-6: the tower, which is the only portion of the old church now standing, is of the 11th century, the remainder being of the 14th century: there is an oak chest, dated 1695, containing the registers and parish documents: the church furniture was presented by Mrs. Thornton and family from the proceeds of private sales of their own work: a ringers' gallery and a decorated oak screen were erected in 1929, to form a vestry in the tower: there is a cross of grey Cornish granite at the entrance to the churchyard, erected as a memorial to the men connected with this parish who lost their lives in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 140 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Aston Abbotts was in Aylesbury Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aston Abbots from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Aston, Abbot's (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Aston Abbots are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online