Ashley Green, Buckinghamshire
Ashley Green, a hamlet and an ecclesiastical parish in Chesham parish, Bucks, 2½ miles NNE of Chesham on the Metropolitan railway, and 2½ from Berkhampstead station on the L. & N.W.R. It has a post office under Berkhampstead, which is the telegraph office. Population, 561. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £250. The church was erected in 1875. There is a small Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Amersham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1875
Church of England
St. John the Evangelist (parish church)
The parish church of St. John the Evangelist, erected at the cost of Miss Dorrien, and consecrated in 1875, is a building of flint with stone dressings in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, south aisle, south porch and a bell turret over chancel arch containing 2 bells: the stained east window is a memorial to Col. R. A. Smith-Dorrien, who died in 1879, and was inserted by his family: the east end of the chancel has been adorned with mural paintings, executed as a memorial to Miss Dorrien, founder of the church: there is a fine eagle lectern of carved oak: there are 263 sittings.
Ashley Green was in Amersham Registration District from 1897 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashley Green from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ashley-Green)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Ashley Green are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online