Upton St Leonard, Gloucestershire
Upton St Leonard, a parish, with a village, in Gloucestershire, 3 miles SE of Gloucester. It has a post office under Gloucester; money order and telegraph office, Gloucester. Acreage, 2985; population of the civil parish, 1666; of the ecclesiastical, 835. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Bowden Hall, St Leonard's Court, and Kimsbury House are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £240 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is partly Norman, and was restored and the chancel rebuilt in 1850; the interior was reconstructed in 1889. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The cemetery for the city of Gloucester is in this civil parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Upton St. Leonard|
|Hundred||Dudstone and Kings Barton|
|Poor Law union||Gloucester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1539.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Leonard (parish church)
The church of St. Leonard is a building of stone in the Norman, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, with side memorial chapel, nave of three bays, aisles, vestry, north porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 8 bells: there is a large monument to Sir Thomas Snell kt. who died in 1754: the church was restored and the chancel rebuilt in 1850, and in 1889 the interior was entirely reconstructed, the galleries removed and the church fitted with low open seats at a cost of £1,500: there are three stained windows in the north aisle, and about 400 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upton St Leonard from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Upton (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.