Twyning or Twining, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, 2 miles N of Tewkesbury. There is a post office of the name of Twyning Green, under Tewkesbury; money order and telegraph office, Bredon. Acreage, 3191; population, 389. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Twyning Park, Puckrup Hall, and the Manor House are the chief residences. An ancient camp is at Towbury. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £174 with residence. Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The church is partly Norman, and was restored in 1868. It contains a fine alabaster tomb of 1577 and a Norman font.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Twining St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Tewkesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Twining 1674-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The register of baptisms dates from the year 1648; marriages, 1698; burials, 1656.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Mary Magdalen (parish church)
The church of St. Mary Magdalen is an edifice of stone in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch, and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: in the chancel is a fine old alabaster tomb, with brass effigy, erected in 1577 to Sybill Clare, who died on the 13th of February, 1575: in the vestry is a mural monument with three effigies to the Hancock family, with the dates 1674, 1676 and 1717; also mural tablets to the Maxwell, Baldwin, Foxton, Olive and Phelps families, and there is also a mural brass memorial cross to the Rev. Walter Garnett Lyon B.A. curate in charge here 1895-8: in 1886 an organ, chancel seats and screen were presented by the late Mrs. Townend: the font is Norman: the stained east window is a memorial to Capt. Walter Broad Stocker R.N. d. 1870, and there are other memorial windows to John Innes Pocock, d. 1865, and his wife. Isabella Jane, d. 1875: the church was restored in 1867 at a cost of £1,350 under the direction of Mr. Middleton, architect, of Cheltenham: there are 350 sittings: in the churchyard is the base of a stone cross.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Twyning from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Twining, or Twyning (St. Mary Magdalene))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Twyning are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.