Twigworth, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Gloucestershire. The township lies 2½ miles N of Gloucester. It has a post office under Gloucester; money order and telegraph office, Gloucester. Acreage, 493; population, 209. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1844, and includes Longford, which is a suburb of Gloucester. Population, 525. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £310 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is modern, contains a beautiful chancel screen, some stained glass windows, and has a lofty spire. It was restored in 1891.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Dudstone and Kings Barton|
|Poor Law union||Gloucester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1844.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Matthew (parish church)
The church of St. Matthew is a modern building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, porch and a western tower with lofty spire containing one bell: the east window of the north aisle is a memorial to various members of the Gordon-Canning family: the east window in the chancel is a memorial to Col. W. J. Holt and family, and there are others to Charles and Mary Ann Priday, Mrs. E. A. Symes, and to the Sheepway family. The church is greatly indebted to the liberality of the late Rev. Benjamin Saunders Claxson D.D. first vicar of Twigworth, whose armorial bearings appear in the west window: the church was restored in 1891 at a cost of £1,000, when the chancel was rebuilt, the aisle enlarged, and a carved chancel screen erected; a like sum has been spent from time to time in restoration, and numerous gifts have been made in late years: the pulpit is of Caen stone and alabaster, and a new organ was provided in 1904, and a brass eagle lectern was given by the Rev. M. S. C. Rickards M.A. vicar 1889-1912: there are about 250 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Twigworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Twigworth)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Twigworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.