UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Tredington, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Tredington, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, 2½ miles SSE of Tewkesbury. Post town, Tewkesbury. Acreage, 1021; population, 104. Tredington Court, the ancient seat of the Surman family, is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £65 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is Norman and Decorated; the tower was rebuilt in 1883 , in the chancel is a remarkable stone sedilia.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyGloucestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishTredington St. John the Baptist 
HundredTewkesbury 
Poor Law unionTewkesbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register of baptisms dates from the year 1551; marriages, 1641; burials, 1541.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Churches

Church of England

St. John the Baptist (parish church)

The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone, in the Norman and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, containing a beautiful Norman arch, also one dividing chancel from nave, and a wooden tower on the western gable containing 5 bells; the tower was rebuilt and the bells put in order in 1883 at the sole cost of the late John Surman esq.: the chancel is remarkable for its great length: there are the remains of two Norman windows, and in the chancel a peculiar stone sedile: on the north side of the communion table is a recess: in 1896 a memorial window was erected to the late John Surman esq. and Elizabeth, his wife; an organ was also presented by their family at the same time: in 1893 the nave was refloored at a cost of about £97, by the parishioners and landowners, and in 1890 a clock, the gift of Commander A. B. Mansell R.N. was presented in memory of his uncle, John Surman esq. of Tredington Court: the cost of restorations carried out during the period of 1883-90, amounted to £551: there is a memorial brass to George Norman Bell, of Hampstead, d. 1882, and an ancient font: there are sittings for 150 persons. In the churchyard, on the south side, stands a cross with a very tall shaft, and in a good, state of preservation.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tredington from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Tredington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictTewkesbury
CountyGloucestershire
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtGL20
Post TownTewkesbury

Advertisement

Advertisement