Toddington, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, 4 miles N of Winchcomb, and 4¼ E by S of Beckford station on the M.R. The village has a post office under Winchcomb (R.S.O.); money order office, Winchcomb; telegraph office, Stanway. The parish comprises 1828 acres; population of the civil parish, 236; of the ecclesiastical, with Stanley Pontlarge, 327. Toddington House, the seat of Lord Sudeley, is a magnificent mansion, erected in 1835 in the style of a mediaeval monastic edifice. It stands in an extensive well-timbered park. The manor belonged to Lord Sudeley's ancestors before the Conquest. There are fruit orchards of over 500 acres. The living is a vicarage, united with Stanley Pontlarge, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £30 with residence. Patron, Lord Sudeley. The church was built in 1877 by Lord Sudeley in place of a previous edifice. It is in the Early English style, and was designed by Street, and has a mortuary chapel with a monument to the first Lord Sudeley and his wife.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Toddington St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Winchcomb|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register, including Stanley-Pontlarge and Prescot, dates from the year 1665.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The old church, dedicated to St. Leonard, was a Perpendicular structure, rebuilt by Thomas Charles, Viscount Tracy, in 1723, but was taken down and again rebuilt in 1873-9 at an expense of £44,000, and dedicated to St. Andrew: the church is now an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle, south porch and a tower on the south side with pinnacles and a lofty spire, and containing 6 bells: attached to the aisle is a mortuary chapel containing a monument by J. G. Lough, to Charles, 1st Baron Sudeley, who died February 10th, 1858, and Henrietta Susanna, his wife, only child and heiress of the last Viscount Tracy, she died June 5th, 1839: new oak choir stalls and canopies were added in 1912, the gift of Hugh Andrews esq. who also re-paved the choir and sanctuary with marble: there are 150 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Toddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Toddington (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Toddington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.