Tirley, a parish in Gloucestershire, on the river Severn, 5 miles SW by S of Tewkesbury. It has a post office under Tewkesbury; money order office, Corse Lawn; telegraph office, Hasfield. The parish includes Haw hamlet. Acreage, 1924; population, 393. There is a parish council of five members and a chairman. A bridge spans the Severn at Haw, and was built in 1825 at a cost of £24,349. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £330 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Decorated English, and was restored in 1893. There is a small Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tirley St. Matthew|
|Poor Law union||Tewkesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Tirley 1655-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1653.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and a low embattled western tower with four pinnacles, and containing 6 bells: the rood loft staircase was discovered in 1893: in the chancel is a memorial to G. Hurdman, grandson of Edward Burdman, first Mayor of Worcester, dated 1634; there are monuments to the Hopkins family dating from 1789; to Mrs. Mary Browne, of Cumberwood, 1717; and Anne Turton, 1642: the east window is stained, and there is a small memorial window to Joseph Terry Hone and Augusta Hone, erected by their son, the Rev. Joseph Frederick Hone M.A. vicar here from 1827: the church was new roofed and the bells rehung in 1894, at a cost of about £400: there are 300 sittings: in the churchyard are two very large and fine yew trees.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tirley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tirley (St. Matthew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tirley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.