Tidenham, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands on the peninsula between the Severn and the Wye, 2½ miles NNE of Chepstow. It has a post and money order office under Chepstow; telegraph office, Tutshill. The parish contains the hamlets of Woodcroft, Tutshill, Bishton, Stroat, Sedbury, and Wibdon, and the Chase district. Acreage, 6376 with 924 of adjacent tidal water and 626 of foreshore; population of civil parish, 1736; of ecclesiastical, 1617. There is a parish council of nine members and a chairman. Tidenham House, Tutshill House, and Sedbury Park are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £63. The church is Early English and Decorated, and contains a Norman font. The vicarage of Beachley is a separate benefice. There are chapels of ease at Tidenham Chase and Tutshill, and a Wesleyan chapel at Tidenham.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tidenham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Chepstow|
|Registration district||Chepstow||1837 - 1937|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
dedication unknown (parish church)
The church (dedication unknown) is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and a western tower, containing a clock and 6 bells, re-hung in 1896: the Norman font, said to date from the 11th century, is made of lead and curiously ornamented: the stained east window is a memorial to Right Rev. J. Armstrong D.D. Bishop of Grahamstown 1853-6, and formerly vicar here; there is another to Thomas Henry and Christiana Morgan; one in the north aisle to the Rev. Henry Charles Morgan, vicar of Dilwyn from 1831, placed by his son, the late T. H. Morgan esq. of Tidenham House; and one to Alan Cowburn M A.: there are sittings for 600 persons.
St. Luke's chapel of ease, Tutshill
St. Luke's chapel of ease, at Tutshill, 1½ miles southwest from the parish church, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, vestry and organ chamber and a turret containing 3 bells; it was new-roofed in 1896 at a cost of £400, and affords 250 sittings.
St. Michael and All Angels, Tidenham Chase
The chapel of ease of St. Michael and All Angels, at Tidenham Chase, 2½ miles north of the parish church, was erected in 1888 by the late Rev. Fielding Palmer M.A. of Eastcliff, in this parish, at a cost of £1,200, and is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell: there are 100 sittings: the east window is a memorial to the late Miss P. Phillips, of Pen Moel House, Tutshill, and the two west windows form a memorial to the Rev. Fielding Palmer M.A. d. 1897.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Tidenham from 1837 to 1937 you should search for the Chepstow Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tidenham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tidenham (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tidenham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
Villages, Hamlets, &cBeachley
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.