Tibberton, a parish in Gloucestershire, 1 mile W of Barber's Bridge station on the G.W.R., 3½ miles SE of Newent, and 5 NW of Gloucester. It has a post office under Gloucester; money order office, Newent; telegraph office, Huntley. Acreage, 1406; population, 314. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £188 with residence. The church is good, and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tibberton Holy Trinity|
|Hundred||the Duchy of Lancaster|
|Poor Law union||Newent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1708.
The register dates from the year 1558.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
Holy Trinity (parish church)
The church of the Holy Trinity is an edifice of stone, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, west porch and a western tower containing 2 bells: it was restored in 1908 and a Sunday school built at a total cost of £1,050: there are sittings for 160 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tibberton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tibberton (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tibberton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.