Akeley cum Stockholt, Buckinghamshire
Akeley-cum-Stockholt, a parish in Buckinghamshire, 3 miles N of Buckingham railway station. Post town, Buckingham, 2¼ miles distant, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1325; population, 380. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £171 with residence. The church, a building of stone in the Early Decorated style, was entirely rebuilt in 1854. There is also a Wesleyan chapel. Akeley Wood is a country residence standing in 200 acres of well-wooded grass land.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Akely St. James|
|Poor Law union||Buckingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1682
Church of England
St. James the Apostle (parish church)
The parish church of St. James the Apostle, entirely rebuilt in 1854 by private subscription, is an edifice of stone, in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel and nave, and an embattled tower in the south side, the basement of which forms a porch: the tower has an octagonal turret or spire at one angle, rising about 24 feet above the parapet and contains a clock and 2 bells: the Norman south doorway is a relic of the original church: there is a memorial window of Munich glass, erected in 1884 to the Rev. John Holford Risley B.C.L., M.A. 34 years rector (1841-74): the church was renovated in 1901, and an organ provided in January, 1902, in place of the one introduced in 1854: there are 257 sittings: in 1903 the churchyard was enlarged by the gift of Mr. George Attwood. There is a Maltese cross of stone, 13 feet 6 ins. in height, erected in 1920, as a memorial to the nine men of this parish who lost their lives in the Great War, 1914-18.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Akeley was in Buckingham Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Akeley cum Stockholt from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Akely (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Akeley cum Stockholt are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online