Stoke Orchard, Gloucestershire
Stoke Orchard, a hamlet in Bishops Cleeve parish, Gloucestershire, 1 mile NW of Cleeve station on the M.R., and 3½ miles SE by S of Tewkesbury. Post town, Cheltenham. Acreage, 1378; population, 162. There are a chapel of ease to Bishops Cleeve parish church, and a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Bishop's Cleeve|
|Poor Law union||Tewkesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
Chapel of Ease
The chapel of ease here attached to Bishop's Cleeve is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel and nave with a small turret at the east end, containing one bell: there are sittings for 100 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stoke Orchard from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stoke-Orchard)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stoke Orchard are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.