Staunton, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, 2 miles NW of Coleford, and 3 E of Monmouth. There is a post office under Coleford; money order and telegraph office, Coleford. Acreage, 1530; population, 157. Buckstone, on which stands the ancient rocking stone which gives it the name, commands a fine view. There is an ancient stone cross in the village near the church. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £112 with residence. The church is Norman with Early English and Decorated additions. The ancient stone pulpit is reached by a staircase leading to the roodloft and belfry. There is an ancient font, discovered about fifty years ago, which is probably Saxon, although some authorities incline to the opinion that it is Roman. The church was restored in 1872.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Staunton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Monmouth|
|Registration district||Monmouth||1837 - 1937|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1653.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints, standing on an eminence and surrounded by a beautiful old churchyard, to which considerable additions have been made, is a building of stone in the Late Norman, Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, south transept, aisle, porch and a central embattled tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells: the three chancel windows and the west windows are stained: in the south transept is an aumbry, and on the north side of the tower is a chapel retaining an ancient piscina: the rood stairs remain, and now give access to the stone pulpit, which, as well as the font, is of very early date: a list of 36 rectors of Staunton, from 1302, has been placed in the church by the Rev. C. C. Mills M.A. rector, 1904-11: a new organ was erected in 1901, at a cost of £190: the church was restored in 1872 and later, and affords 206 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Staunton from 1837 to 1937 you should search for the Monmouth Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Staunton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Staunton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Staunton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.