Adstock, a village and a parish in Buckinghamshire, midway between Buckingham and Winslow, and 1½ mile E from Padbury station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town, Winslow; money order and telegraph office, Padbury. Acreage, 1166; population, 330. The market for Buckingham and Winslow was held here during the plague of 1665. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £318 with residence. The church is ancient but good. It was restored in 1876, and the chancel in 1892, when a memorial stained window was added to the nave. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Adstock St. Cecilia|
|Poor Law union||Buckingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1538
Church of England
St. Cecilia (parish church)
The parish church of St. Cecilia is an ancient building of stone in part Perpendicular, and consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock installed in 1850 and 3 bells; the corbels supporting the chancel arch are carved with oak and vine foliage and fruit; the stone font is octagonal, and the bowl has foliated panels of rough workmanship: the pulpit incorporates portions of the ancient rood screen: on a beam above the east window is carved the date 1597; and in the nave a monument to three rectors named Thomas Egerton, all of the same family, who held the living from 1569-1640 and from 1671 to 1720, and another to the memory of the Rev. Alexander Burrell M.A. 50 years rector of this parish, who died 1771: in the north wall, which is the oldest part of the church, are two doors, late Norman and Early English respectively: on the front of the porch is a sundial, with the date 1581: a shrine was erected in 1920 as a memorial to the men connected with the parish who lost their lives in the Great War, 1914-18: the plate includes an Elizabethan cup and covered paten: there are 120 sittings. There is a list of rectors of this parish from the 13th century.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Adstock was in Buckingham Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Adstock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Adstock (St. Cecilia))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Adstock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online