Stanway, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village is 4 miles NE of Winchcomb, and 6 E of Beckford station on the M.R. It has a post and telegraph office under Winchcomb (R.S.O.); money order office, Winchcomb. The parish includes the hamlets of Wood Stanway, Taddington, and Hornsleasow. Acreage, 3860; population of the civil parish, 325; of the ecclesiastical, 310. The manor belonged to Tewkesbury Abbey, and passed at the Dissolution to the Tracy family. It belongs now to the Earl of Wemyss and March. Stanway House, the residence of his son, Lord Elcho, was built in 1626 by Sir Paul Tracy, and has a gateway designed by Inigo Jones. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £200 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Wemyss and March. The church is Perpendicular, and consists of nave, chancel, and an embattled tower. Dover, who instituted the once famous " Cotswold Games," is buried in the churchyard.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stanway St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Winchcomb|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1573.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone in the Late Norman, Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 4 bells: in the church is a memorial to Augusta (Wemyss-Charteris), Countess of Rossmore, who died 28 July, 1840. Robert Dover, who instituted the once famous "Cotswold Hill Games," died here in 1642, and is buried in the churchyard: the church was restored in 1897, at a cost of upwards of £2,000, and affords 90 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanway from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stanway (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stanway are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.