Stanton, a parish, with a village, in Gloucestershire, 5 miles NE of Winchcomb, and 6 E of Beckford station on the M.R. It has a post and money order office under Broadway; telegraph office, Stanway. Acreage, 1818; population of the civil parish, 314; of the ecclesiastical with Snowshill, 505. There is a parish council of five members and a chairman. Stanton Court is a chief residence. The manor formerly belonged to the abbey of Winchcomb, was given at the dissolution of the monasteries to Queen Catherine, and was granted about 1690 to the Irod family, from whom it descended in female line through marriage to the Wynniatts. Wormington Grange, formerly in Didbrook parish, is a large mansion with extensive grounds, and containing a valuable collection of pictures. The living is a rectory, united with Snowshill, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £227 with residence. The church is chiefly Norman and Early English; the chancel was rebuilt in 1874. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stanton St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Winchcomb|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore & co. transcript of the Marriages at Stanton 1572-1812 is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1572.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Michael (parish church)
The church of St. Michael is an ancient building of stone, in the Norman and later styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of two bays, south aisle, transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles and spire, containing a clock and 6 bells: the chancel was rebuilt in the year 1874 at a cost of £400, and the church restored in 1898 at a cost of £1,200, when two memorial windows were erected to Miss Mills and Mr. and Mrs. Grizzell, both formerly of the Manor House, Stanton: there are 120 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stanton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stanton (St. Bartholomew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Stanton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.