Southrop, a parish, with a village, in Gloucestershire, 3½ miles NNW of Lechlade. It has a post office under Lechlade (S.O.); money order office, Filkins; telegraph office, Lechlade. Acreage, 1582; population of the civil parish, 324; of the ecclesiastical, 316. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £157 with residence. Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is Norman and Early English, and was repaired in 1895. It contains an ancient font and monuments of the Keble family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Southrop St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Northleach|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Southrop 1656-1837, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1656.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone, in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, transept, north porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: the font, dating from between 1160 and 1180, is carved with representations of "Virtue triumphing over Vice": there are fine specimens of herringbone work on the north and south walls, particularly the latter, reaching doubtless to the roof of the original church: the late Rev. John Keble M.A. of Hursley, author of "The Christian Year," was for some years in charge of this parish, and also, in 1823, of the parishes of East Leach and Boutherop, and there are several monuments here to the Keble family: the church was repaired about 1852, and again in 1895, at a cost of £700, and has 165 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Southrop from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Southrop (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Southrop are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.