UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Slimbridge, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Slimbridge, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands near the Gloucester and Berkeley Canal, 1 mile N of Coaley Junction station on the M.R., and 4 miles NNW of Dursley. It has a post office under Stonehouse; money order and telegraph office, Cam. The parish contains also the hamlets of Cambridge, Gossington, Moor End, and Shepherds Patch. Acreage, 3786; population, 872. There is a garish council consisting of seven members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; income derived from 344 acres of glebe with residence. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church was restored in 1846, and has a fine spire. There are Baptist and Congregational chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyGloucestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishSlimbridge St. John the Evangelist 
Poor Law unionDursley 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Slimbridge Transcripts 1571-1740, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Slimbridge 1635-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.

The register dates from the year 1635.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Church of England

St. John the Evangelist (parish church)

The church of St. John the Evangelist is a building of tufa stone, in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles and spire, together 150 feet in height, and containing a clock provided in 1896, and 6 bells, which were rehung in 1912: the east window is stained, and there are memorial windows to the Rev. Dr. White, a former rector, to Mr. and Mrs. Hopton, and one erected in 1899 by his old pupils, to David Charles Moss B.A. 31 years master of the Old British School at Cambridge, in this parish: the oak panelled reredos incloses a copy of the famous picture by Leonardo da Vinci of "The Last Supper": the church was restored in 1846, and has 300 sittings.


Baptist Chapel, Gossington

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Slimbridge from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Online maps of Slimbridge are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

RegionSouth West
Postal districtGL2
Post TownGloucester