Sherborne, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands 3¼ miles E of Northleach, and 5 S by E of Bourton-on-the-Water station on the G.W.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Northleach (R.S.O.) It gives the title of Baron to the Dutton family. The parish comprises 4567 acres; population of the civil parish, 516; of the ecclesiastical, with Windrush, 744. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belonged formerly to Winchcomb Abbey, and passed in 1553 to the Dutton family. Sherborne Park is the seat of Lord Sherborne. The mansion was rebuilt in 1831, and stands in an extensive park with fine old timber. A large deer-park is adjacent The living is a vicarage, united with Windrush, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £288 with residence. Patron, Lord Sherborne. The church was rebuilt in 1850, and contains monuments of the Dutton family. Bradley the astronomer was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sherborne St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Northleach|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1572.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Mary Magdalen (parish church)
The church of St. Mary Magdalen, rebuilt about 1850 by John 2nd Lord Sherborne, is a structure of freestone, consisting of chancel and nave and a western tower with spire containing a clock and 6 bells; in the church are some handsome monuments to the Dutton family: there are 300 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sherborne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sherborne (St. Mary Magdalene))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sherborne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.