Sapperton, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, 5 miles of Kemble Junction on the Kemble and Tetbury branch of the G.W.R., and 5 W by N of Cirencester, with a post and money order office under Cirencester; telegraph office, Coates. The parish includes the tithing of Frampton Mansell. Acreage, 3960; population of the civil parish, 498; of the ecclesiastical, 514. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The manor belongs to Earl Bathurst. Sapperton tunnel, on the G.W.R., is 1¾ mile long. Vestiges of an ancient camp exist, and many Roman coins were found in 1759. A sawmill is at Daneway. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £584 with residence. Patron, Earl Bathurst. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good, and has a tower and spire with three bells dated 1698. A chapel of ease is at Frampton Mansell, and was built by Earl Bathurst in 1844.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sapperton St. Kenelm|
|Poor Law union||Cirencester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1661.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Kenelm (parish church)
The church of St. Kenelm, erected about 1200 A.D. is a cruciform building of stone, reconstructed in the reign of Queen Anne, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north and south chapels, south porch and an eastern embattled tower with spire containing 3 bells: in the north aisle is a monument with kneeling effigies and arms to Sir Henry Poole, who was knighted in 1603 and died in 1616, and to his wife, and in the south aisle one to Sir Robert Atkyns kt. M.P. the historian of Gloucestershire, who died 29 Oct, 1711: there are 300 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sapperton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sapperton (St. Kenelm))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Sapperton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.