Rendcombe, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire, on the river Chum, 5 miles N of Cirencester. Post town, Cirencester. Acreage, 2586; population, 229. Rendcomb& Park, a handsome mansion in the Italian style, was erected in 1864 on the site of the old manor house. It stands in a well-wooded demesne of about 370 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £301 with residence. The church was erected about 1520, and has been restored. It contains an altar-tomb and two-tablets to the memory of members of the Berkeley family, a memorial chapel of the Guise family, and a Norman font removed from the chapel at Elmore Court.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rendcombe St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Cirencester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Rendcombe 1566-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1566.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, south aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 6 bells: the font dates from the 14th century, and is enriched with panelled work and figures; and the oak rood screen is in perfect preservation; indications of the rood loft appear in the north wall of the nave: the east and north windows are stained, and in the chancel are several handsome mural monuments to the Berkeley family, who once resided at Rendcombe Park: on the apex of the gable, immediately over the east window, is a small canopied crucifix, belonging either to a more ancient church, portions of which may still be seen built into the north wall, or to the cross which once stood in the church, and of which the basement of three steps and the stone pediment of the shaft still remain: in 1896 the church was reseated throughout in oak, chiefly at the cost of the late James Taylor esq: there are 160 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rendcombe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Rendcombe (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.