Quinton, a parish in Gloucestershire, under Meon Hill, and adjacent to Warwickshire, 2 miles E by S of Long Marston station on the G.W.R., and 6 S by W of Stratford-on-Avon. It contains the village of Lower Quinton and the hamlets of Upper Quinton and Admington. Lower Quinton has a post and money order office under Stratford-on-Avon; telegraph office, Mickleton. Acreage, 3457; population, 565. Quinton House and Admington Hall are the chief residences. Radbrook, an old seat of the Lingen family, is now a farmhouse. The manor belongs to Magdalen College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £200 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is chiefly Decorated, and was restored in 1864. It has a fine tower with a lofty spire, and contains a Norman font, piscinas and sedilia, and some ancient tombs.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Quinton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Shipston-upon-Stour|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Quinton 1548-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1547.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Swithin (parish church)
The church of St. Swithin is a building of stone, in the Norman and Later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and a fine embattled western tower, with pinnacles and an octagonal spire 115 feet high, and containing a clock and 6 bells: there is an ancient altar tomb with recumbent effigy to Sir (Wm.) Clopton, ob. 1419, and an altar tomb of grey marble, with canopied brass effigy, to Joan, widow of Sir (Wm.) Clopton, c. 1430; the tomb bears shields of arms, and a marginal inscription in Latin forming eight lines; it was repaired in 1739 by T. Lingen esq.: there are other memorials to Anne (Burton), wife of Thomas Lingen, of Radbrook, d. 1737; Thomas Lingen esq. d. 1742, and several children: Sir Thomas Overbury kt. of Bourton-on-the-Hill, was buried here in 1680: the stained east window is a memorial to Louisa Corbett, d. 1870, and there are also monuments to the Corbett family: the south aisle retains sedilia and a piscina, and in the north aisle is a piscina and canopied niche: some fragments of old glass also remain: the font is Norman: above the chancel arch on the west side are the royal arms of Queen Elizabeth, in a very good state of repair, with the inscription "God love our noble Queen Elizabeth:" the church was thoroughly restored in 1864, at a cost of £1,500, and affords 365 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Quinton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Quinton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.