Quenington, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands on the Fosse Way and the river Coin, 2 miles N of Fairford, and 8 E by N of Cirencester, and has a post office under Fairford (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Coin St Aldwyn's. The parish comprises 1996 acres; population, 366. There is a parish council consisting of five members. A preceptory of Knights Hospitallers was founded here before the time of King John, and went to the Kingstones. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £140 with residence. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1882. It has two Norman doorways of remarkably rich design. There are Congregational and Plymouth Brethren chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Quenington St. Swithin|
|Poor Law union||Cirencester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1631.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Swithin (parish church)
The church of St. Swithin is a very small and plain edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, two porches and a western turret containing 2 bells: the north and south doorways are Norman, much enriched, and there is one stained window: the church was completely restored in 1882, at a cost of £1,285, principally defrayed by Viscount St. Aldwyn and Sir T. S. Bazley bart.:there are sittings for 150 persons.
Brethren meeting house
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Quenington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Quenington (St. Swithin))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Quenington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.