UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Quedgeley, Gloucestershire

Historical Description

Quedgeley, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands near the Gloucester and Berkeley Canal, 3 miles SSW of Gloucester, and has a post office under Gloucester; money order office, Gloucester; telegraph office, Hardwick. The parish contains also the hamlet of Woolstrop, and comprises 1332 acres; population of the civil parish, 476; of the ecclesiastical, 447. There is a parish council consisting of five members and a chairman. Quedgeley House is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £150 with residence. The church consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and porch, with tower and spire. It was restored and enlarged in 1857. The tower is of 12th century date; the S aisle is also ancient, -and the N aisle was added at the restoration. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyGloucestershire 
Ecclesiastical parishQuedgley St. James 
Poor Law unionGloucester 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Quedgeley 1559-1836, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.

The register dates from the year 1558.

The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.


Church of England

St. James (parish church)

The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower of the 12th century, with spire, and containing a clock and 8 bells: the south aisle is also ancient, but the rest of the church is largely modern, and the north aisle was added at the restoration in 1857: the east window and several others are stained, and include memorials to the Rev. Canon William Frederick Erskine Knollys M.A. a former rector, 1842-61, and to the late Benjamin Harrison esq. treasurer of Guy's Hospital, and his wife: an organ and organ chamber were added and the vestry enlarged in 1887-91 as a memorial to John and Elizabeth Curtis-Hayward: the church affords 250 sittings.


Wesleyan Chapel

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Quedgeley from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.


Online maps of Quedgeley are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

RegionSouth West
Postal districtGL2
Post TownGloucester