Pebworth, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. Tho village stands near the boundary with Worcestershire, 2 miles NE of Honeybourne station on the G.W.R., and 5½ N by W of Chipping Campden. It has a post and money order office under Stratford-on-Avon; telegraph office, Muckleton. The parish contains also the hamlets of Broad Marston and Ul-lington. Acreage, 3056; population, 641. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Pebworth House is the property of the Phillips family. There are mineral springs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £100. The church is ancient. The churchyard contains the stone effigy of a priest of the 14th century and portions of two ancient crosses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pebworth St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Evesham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1595.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter, supposed to have been erected about, the 13th century, is a building of stone, in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle, north porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: there is a very curious mural painting serving as a memorial to the Martin family and dated 1629: the church was re-pewed in 1860 and has 250 sittings: in the churchyard facing the vestry door lies the stone effigy of a priest of the 14th century in eucharistic vestments: here also are portions of two ancient crosses.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pebworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Pebworth (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.