Old Sodbury, Gloucestershire
Sodbury, Old, a parish, with a village, in Gloucestershire, 2 miles ESE of Chipping Sodbury, and 4 E by S of Yate station on the M.R. It has a post office under Chipping Sodbury: money order and telegraph office, Chipping Sodbury. Acreage, 3729; population, 690. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Lye Grove House is a mansion in the Elizabethan style, and contains a good collection of pictures. There is a Roman camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £261 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1858. There are two Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sodbury St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Chipping-Sodbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Old Sodbury 1684-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1695.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist, situated on rising ground, is an edifice of stone in the Transition, Norman, and later styles; it was entirely rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, 18588, and consists of a very long chancel, transepts, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock, given in 1877 at a cost of £87, and one bell: there are several stained windows: the organ was erected in 1877: there is a curious and very ancient wooden monument in the church dating from 1320: there are sittings for 270 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Old Sodbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sodbury, Old (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Old Sodbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.