Oddington, two villages and a parish in Gloucestershire. The villages stand half a mile SW of the river Evenlode, near the boundary with Oxfordshire, 1 mile SW of Adlestrop station on the G.W.R., and 2 E of Stow-on-the Wold; bear the names of Upper and Lower Oddington, and have a post and money order office under Moreton-in-Marsh; telegraph office, Adlestrop railway station. The parish comprises 1813 acres; population, 470. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Oddington House is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; gross value, £215 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester. The old church stands about half a mile from the villages, in a finely wooded vale; is partly Norman and partly Early English, with interesting features, and has ceased to be used except for funerals. The new church of the Holy Ascension stands midway between the villages, was built in 1852, and is in the Pointed style; comprises nave, N aisle, and chance!; and has several handsome painted windows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Oddington St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Stow-on-the-Wold|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1549.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The old parish church of St. Nicholas, situated about half a mile from the village, in a vale surrounded by wooded scenery, is a fine building of stone, chiefly in the Early English style, with a Norman doorway, and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle and south porch, and a tower containing 5 bells: the south aisle retains a piscina and some traces of mural paintings: the church was restored in 1913 at a cost of £500, and was then used for occasional services and funerals only.
The Ascension (parish church)
The church of the Ascension, erected in 1852, midway between the villages, is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, north porch, a small turret over the chancel arch containing 2 bells, and a bell-cote over the north porch containing a clock and one bell: there are several stained windows: the church affords 300 sittings.
Wesleyan Chapel, Lower Oddington
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Oddington (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.