Nymphsfield, a village and a parish in Gloucestershire. The village stands among the Cotswolds, 2½ miles SSE of Frocester station on the M.R., and 4 NE of Dursley, and has a post office under Stonehouse; money order and telegraph office, Uley. The parish comprises 1546 acres; population, 235. An ancient British burial-place is on an eminence overlooking the valley of the Severn, and was explored in 1861 by the Cotswold Naturalist Club. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; net value, £227 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1863, is in the Early English style; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel, with porch and vestry; and retains the old tower, which is fine Later English. There are Roman Catholic and Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Nymphsfield St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Dursley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Nimpsfield (Bishops Transcripts), Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Nimpsfield 1679-1812, Gloucestershire is available to browse online.
The parish register of burials dates from the year 1618; marriages, 1680, and baptisms 1684, and it contains a record of the progress of James II. through the parish, Aug. 22, 1687.
The Gloucestershire Parish Registers are available online at Ancestry, in association with Gloucestershire Archives.
Church of England
St. Bartholomew (parish church)
The parish church of St. Bartholomew, re-erected, with the exception of the tower, in 1863, in the first Pointed style, consists of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, north-west porch, vestry, organ chamber, and an embattled western tower, of Perpendicular date, with pinnacles, containing a clock and one bell: the internal fittings are of oak, and there is a tablet in the church bearing a list of the incumbents from A.D. 1185: there are 220 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nympsfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Nymphsfield (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Gloucestershire is available to browse.
Online maps of Nympsfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Gloucestershire online:
- Gloucester Citizen
- Gloucester Journal
- Gloucestershire Chronicle
- Gloucestershire Echo
- Cheltenham Chronicle
- Cheltenham Looker-On
The Visitation of the county of Gloucester, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.